Sunday, August 12, 2007

RD Burman flashback - 2 : Yeh Vaada Raha

I blogged about one of my favorite songs from 'Parinda' recently, and today I randomly thought of this other very lyrical song from 'Yeh Vaada Raha' which I like a lot - I remember watching the movie years and years ago, a love triangle where Poonam Dhillon emerges as Tina Munim after plastic surgery (or maybe it was vice-versa!). Rishi Kapoor is the hero but I don't recall much else. Anyway, I was quite unsurprised to find that R.D.Burman was the music director - the man was a genius I tell you, and upon further digging, I found that the lyricist was Gulshan Bawra, whose two most noteworthy songs, for which he won Filmfare awards, were 'Mere desh ki dharti' from 'Upkar' and 'Yaari hai imaan mera' from the Amitabh Bachchan-starrer 'Zanjeer'. This particular song, the title song from 'Yeh Vaada Raha', is one of his few songs that became hits, amongst the 240 that he wrote in his 42-year career. Long live YouTube!

No comments: